Friday 25 October 2013

YOU'RE ALLOWED TO QUIT SOMETIMES

We’re always raised to “try our best” and never “quit.” Well, society, thanks for setting us up for this somewhat terrible advice but, it’s OKAY to quit.
Many of us spend our time trying to overcome quitting on a day to day basis. I’m not saying we should go out and quit our jobs, schools, marriages and kids, etc. But there are some situations in which it’s best to quit and move on. I have outlined some circumstances when I think we should just raise up the white flag.

Skills (or lack thereof) and Talents:
Can we really do anything we put our minds to? Wrong. I, for one, could never be a sprinter. For those of you who have seen me run, you know my legs don’t work that way. I could never be a dancer. Sure, I could try and try and maybe, just maybe, I could get good at it one day. But am I going to keep trying knowing my lack of coordination? No. I don’t particularly think I would like being set on a dance floor. Obviously these are very dramatic examples, but the same applies to singing, acting, and even day to day activities. I can understand trying to stick with certain activities as a child, as you’re still developing mentally and physically, but I don’t think there are any ten-year-old reading this. So, if you are miserable doing something that you’re awful at and it’s getting you nowhere, please, just quit. Move on to something that will be a more appropriate use of your time, and much more fulfilling.

Your Job:
Many people are afraid to quit their job for a better one, or even look for new opportunities, because they are afraid of disappointing their current boss or because there are no guarantees of better ones. I’ve realized after moving a couple different jobs for new opportunities that when it comes down to it, your boss doesn’t care about you. At the end of the day, they need to run a business. They WILL replace you. If you can better yourself by leaving for a new opportunity, please, do. Don’t hesitate. No one ever got anywhere by standing still.

Your relationship:
When you have a commitment to someone, usually there is a lot invested in it. Sometimes people get married just because they have a joint loan payment, or they bought a toy together. They get sucked into this world that they don’t want to be in. It’s no shock that divorce rates are sky rocketed. If some couples just quit on each other before they get married, the world would be a much happier place. Right?  Relationships aren’t meant to be easy, and you shouldn’t give up on “the one” if things are a little rocky. But if you know deep down that they are not right for you.


Life isn’t made to be easy, and you shouldn’t quit every time something get’s tough. But be realistic, have a backup plan if you are determined to stay with your dancing or any other far-fetched passion, and always be true to who you are (not who everyone else wants you to be).

No comments:

Post a Comment