Monday 29 July 2013

YOU'RE GETTING OLDER, SO WHAT?.


For some reason I remember the founders of "The Future Awards" and I remember reading somewhere that they started when they were under 25years of age and today it has become one of the most prestigious awards in Nigeria (in my opinion). The sub-conscious pressure kicks in and I ask myself: what have you done? Skip that, this is not about me. It’s about the unnecessary pressures we put ourselves under these days. The bitter truth is that, no matter how successful you are today, some of your mates will always do better than you while you will do better some others ... at one point in time. How easily do we let ourselves get swallowed by pressure or maybe guilt? So s/he was your understudy in school and now they are making millions while you are still struggling to make ends meet, big deal! You really don't know how they got there and how long they will be there. See it as motivation to do what you can do to be better, not necessarily better, anyway, just do something which will make you happy.
 
Ene has always been the youngest amongst her circle of friends wherever she finds herself ever since she was a child; she was also the smartest, most successful and seemingly happy. Whatever she put tries her hands on always turned into something successful. At 21, she had a master's degree, she had a blooming business and she was someone every guy wanted to hang out with. Ajuma was supposedly her best friend, she wasn't envious, but she was four (4) years older and has only just completed the National Youth Service Corps scheme. Ajuma went as far as sleeping around with different men who promised to give her huge funds to start a business which would be bigger and more successful than Ene’s. What Ajuma didn’t know was that Ene was leukemic and probably had only two (2) more years to live. Sound familiar?

Odeh and Agaba are best friends, too. Odeh to had it all, a good job, a nice girlfriend; the type every guy wants to have and everything seemed to be going on well for her. The “annoying” part is the fact that Odeh is not even handsome and he is shorter than Agaba but he gets all the ladies’ attention. What no one knows, however is that behind closed doors, Odeh has a horrible temper and when he is angry, he physically abuses his girlfriend. Agaba, desperate and thinking his friend uses voodoo powers decides to visit an indian temple where he sold his soul to the devil for fame and affluence.

So, are you about to get married just because you are thirty and you feel this is your last chance? Or are you with a partner who constantly abuses you and makes you feel like crap? Are you a guy willing to join an occultic society simply because you are promised wealth? Are you going to sleep with that politician just because you need a car and all your mates have got cars? You’re getting older, so what?

Shhh… What's that sound? Oh! I forgot I left the shower running just because I let my random thoughts get the best of me this night. Or maybe I've been thinking I'm getting older and I'm not where I think I should be... well, I best go bath, bed and beyond! Lol…. As for you, you're getting older, so what? stop thinking, start acting and act right!

No comments:

Post a Comment